It is commonly know that pregnant women are encouraged to lay on your side due to blood restriction to the uterus and fetus. However, there may be more benefits not only laying on your sides but laying on the left side. The left side roots more benefits compared to the right side. Here are a few reasons to favor the left side:
- Helps your back pain: Laying on your left side helps to relieve pressure on the back (with a pillow under a belly for support). It keeps the uterus from squeezing the liver, and increase blood flow to the uterus, kidneys, and fetus.
- It’s good for your heart: sleeping on the left side may help to take some pressure off the heart, as gravity can help facilitate both lymphatic drainage towards and aortic circulation away from the heart (Taking the old blood from the heart to the lungs for new fresh blood).
- Bolsters the lymphatic system:laying on the left side allows your body to filter fluid and waste via the lymph nodes as the left side of our body is the dominant lymphatic side. It helps the body process waste materials from the brain versus sleeping on the right side decrease the lymphatic system’s efficiency.
- Helps with your digestion:Sleeping on the left side helps with digestion because of gravity. It allows food waste to transition easily into the large intestine into the colon (you will poop in the morning). Laying on the left side allows the stomach and pancreas to hang naturally (your stomach lays on your left side). This allows the development of pancreatic enzymes and digestive processes humming. How? The shape of the stomach is enhanced in this position and allows more space for food to move easily versus the right side.
- Helps reduce acid reflux: Overall, lying down increases abdominal pressure and thus promotes gastroesophageal reflux. This cause the acid stomach contents are forced back up the esophagus causing heart burn.
So how do we make that change????
- Try lying down with a pillow or your main squeeze while you relax your feet.
- Use a body pillow to help reduce the chances of you rolling off your left side.
- Avoid lying directing on your shoulder to reduce discomfort regardless the side you lie on (but you will choose the left side right???)
Overall, the human body is incredible and efficient at optimum function. Because we are completely asymmetric (i.e. heart on the left, liver on the right), we have natural physiological advantages to help with your health. Give it a try and I am sure you will see the left side is the best side…..#LeftSideNation